Monday, October 27, 2008

What to say?

I'm really ready for this news cycle to be over. I'd like the presidential elections to take place, please. I feel like the whole country is holding its breath. In the absence of the Mets in the World Series, Joel has become obsessed with the polling data. He's like my personal Gallup pollster. I just feel like so much hinges on the outcome of this election, and while I want to be cautiously optimistic, I really worry about the amount of racist rhetoric being stirred up at Sarah Palin's rallies.

So there that is.

Um... wanna see some cool pumpkins?



The Great Jack-Lantern Blaze is this awesome Halloween event around here. There are more than 4,000 hand-carved pumpkins on a nearby historic estate. The artists make these amazing sculptures and installations.



The more complex designs, like this life-sized Tyrannosaurus Rex, are made out of "funkins" or foam-shaped pumpkins, because they'd collapse as they rot. A team of volunteers carves 750 real pumpkins every week in the month of October to replace the ones that decay.

This pirate woman kicked ass. She was made out of, like, ten pumpkins and was taller than I was.



I've been so busy since we got back from the honeymoon that this was the first time I got to hang out with our friends who comprised a big part of our wedding party. Friends=good. I knew I would have to sacrifice a lot to take all the time off for the wedding and the honeymoon. With 2009 will come 15 new vacation days, 7 sick days, and 3 personal days... Ah, free time, once again. It will be mine. Mine! :)

I may have missed Baelin's first birthday party, but hey! I was there for his first candy apple. That totally counts, right?



I can't believe how fast he's growing up. I know everyone says that, but seriously, people. This was him a whole year ago already. How did that happen?

4 comments:

ethnically ambiguous said...

Angie once again beautiful pictures and the candy apple shot just tickles my heart. That one will go into his book-o-blackmail photos hehe.

Unknown said...

I, also, am really ready for another news cycle. And I don't have to cover the news every day anymore like you do.

karla said...

Cool Pumpkins! Geez, this brings back memories to the first year Mark and I had a home and carved a pumpkin. We were all in the spirit of the season and stuff and carved our scary pumpkins, like, a month in advance, and then stored them in our furnace room. OMFG! How the eff could we not know pumpkins rot?

Anonymous said...

i cannot f-ing wait until this election is O-V-E-R. i think we all should be able to cast our vote as soon as we know who we want and that the LAST day to vote should be on the first tuesday in november. then, i would have voted for barack a long-ass time ago and we wouldn't have to "guess" if the polls were right or not because there would be a shit-load of votes already in and it would also get way more people to vote. and it should be something you could do in person or by snail mail or online. duh.