Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sydney Bonus Photos

One of my favorite college professors really shaped the way I feel about photography and why I'm so willing to- let's face it- work on my honeymoon. He first taught me in S.U.'s London photo program, and he really emphasized the importance of celebrating our photography and developing our personal vision by shooting a lot of - in his words- self-indulgent crap.

Self-indulgent crap was his short hand for "anything you feel like." It got us shooting a lot of silly pictures of each other, taking our cameras lots of places, whipping them out whenever. We began to see London- really SEE it- beyond tourist hot spots and famous places. He took us to shoot world-known landmarks (Stonehenge, for one) and challenged us to photograph them in a way that was DIFFERENT. We had a lot of breaks, a whole week off in October. We had our Britrail passes and Eurail passes. He told us, "How many millions of pictures have been taken of the Eiffel Tower? Make me a photo unlike any I've ever seen before."

It was such a fun time of growth for me and my college friends, the ones whose friendships have lasted despite the fact that we were in London exactly nine years ago. There was something about Sydney this time around that reminded me of that time- the cool weather, the golden afternoon light, people wearing green and yellow Australia scarves for the Olympics, eating at the Sydney Wagamama.

So I was shooting in that same style of discovery. The golden afternoon light...



Self-Indulgent Crap for my scrapbook...








In and around the Sydney Tower...







One of me by Joel...






And the Sydney Opera House, differently than I shot it before, trying to see it and shoot it in ways I've never seen others attempt.



Self-portrait

You can see these photos and a couple more here.

No comments: