Saturday, December 23, 2006

Life Imitates Art

(I don't know if you'd consider the old "Daria" cartoons art, but for those of us who came of age during MTV's "Beavis and Butthead" era, it's pure brilliance.)

Oh, stereotypes, you conundrums, you...

Every now and then, I see these little moments that I just have to capture. They often have nothing to do with the reason I have my camera out and poised. They're just THERE, and I can't help myself.



This particular moment reminded me of an old episode of Daria, where everyone's favorite cartoon heroine helps the uber-popular cheerleader understand three-point perspective for art class by drawing her a picture of the mall.



The part of the episode that drives my above comparison home doesn't happen until 4 minutes and 16 seconds into the YouTube video I've linked to below, so here's the dialogue in case you're, you know, busy or something.

Brittany: Hey! Thanks for helping me out in art.
Daria: No problem.
Brittany: Maybe I could help you out in something.
Daria: Well, you could show me how to twirl hair around my little finger and look vacant.
Brittany: (twirls hair and looks vacant) I don't know if that's something you can teach.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, that photo is awesome. Seriously, I think it's the best representation of a stereotypical high school cheerleader that I have ever seen captured on film.

Chunky Photojournalist Barbie said...

Hee. Glad you like it.

I keep a little folder on my laptop called "Life in Stepford." It's mostly a record of moments like this one, including a girl who got a nose job just for the prom. Unfortunately, her doctor's timing was off, and there she is at the pre-prom event with her rhinoplasty bandages.

Someday we will hang out IN PERSON, and I'll show you all of them. It's definitely bitchy, but so fun.