Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oh, Hell's Bells

I just went to the dentist for professional teeth-whitening, like the kind they do on Ten Years Younger or Extreme Makeover. Um, did anyone of you know that this hurts like a bitch? Because I did not.

Basically, it stimulates the nerves in the teeth, and I'm getting these "twinges" that hurt so much that they make my mouth water and cause me to involuntarily pound my fist into my thigh. My dentist was truly wonderful, truly sensitive and helpful. (Well, except for him not explaining that this could happen ahead of time, really.)

Apparently, this is rare. I am special! I'm like one of the tiny green aliens in Toy Story at the pizza arcade! Ooooo! The Claw! I have been chooosen!



I'm taking Advil like it's going out of style. I can see a difference in the brightness already, and I'm sure I'll be pleased later. Muc later. Right now I have to find a way to go to work without terrifying the rest of the newsroom as I involuntary pound on my desk for no discernible reason (to them) when my teeth hurt.

What? Oh, don't mind me. I'm just the drooling photographer who's hitting her desk today. Carry on!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me, so apparently you and I are both special or part of an ultra cool club .

My day went like this... leave work at 1pm to walk to dentist. Return to work at some point in the afternoon. Cry at work because it hurt so bad, cry on the T home... finally paged the dentist at 7pm and waited for him to fax in a prescription for vicadin to the 24 hour pharmacy... which even that didn't truly make the pain go away.

The good news is I don't remember it lasting more than a day...

Hang in there...

Chunky Photojournalist Barbie said...

Hey Jilly,

Yeah, by 4 p.m. I was at CVS after leaving work early, asking the pharmacist to please repeat herself because all I could think was, "OW. OW. OW." while she tried to give me my Vicodin.

I managed to fall asleep for a little while, but I'm ready for another dose now so it hurts again.

Anonymous said...

Oh Angie,

I never heard of this either. So sorry this hurts.
Love ya, Mom

Cara said...

I'm sorry. I feel your dental pain.

Remember, you can mix Tylenol and Advil. Don't mix Vicodin and Advil. Hope you are feeling better soon. The wedding photos will be worth it, right? :-)

Lo Lo said...

Hahahaha AMAZING Toy Story reference! Sorry to laugh, but you have a gift for writing. Hope you're feeling better today!

Unknown said...

My mom says to get yourself some sensodyne toothpaste and mouthwash and use that and nothing else for at least a couple of weeks.
She says your teeth were probably sensitive to hot or cold before and you didn't realize it, and the intense concentration of the bleach is what triggered all your nerve endings.
Hope you are feeling better soon.