Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Crash Course



Last weekend I photographed one of Joel's friends who performs semi-professionally as a belly dancer so she would have business cards and promo materials. It gave us an excellent chance to practice using my full studio setup and backdrop with lights, etc.

The gigundo backdrop is about as long as my bitchy little Toyota and requires careful manuevering. The shoot went very well, I'm quite pleased with the photos. Then, when we were loading the backdrop into the car, Joel was guiding and I was pushing, and we created a splendid little disaster.

Me: Okay up there?
Joel: Yeah. Okay, push.
Me: (grunt)
Car: *crack*
Joel: Shit! (silence) It broke your windshield.
Me: What? (looking at splendid sunburst design occupying the space formerly known as "My Intact Windshield.")
Joel: I don't know if I should hug you or start running.
Me: Let's just sit quietly for a minute. In YOUR car.

So we sat. I didn't cry. We split the cost of repairs. The car is fine. Then, like all good Americans with credit card balances, I called my best friend.

Me: You know that backdrop we had to load into my car after Amanda's wedding?
Kel: How could I forget?
Me: Last night I accidentally shoved it through my windshield. Well, either that, or Joel- in his role as the person guiding it- um, guided it through my windshield. Not the whole way through, just enough to crack it.
Kel: Oh, you did not.
Me: I assure you; we did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love "I don't know if I should hug you or start running." I think Dave would probably have the same reaction if something like that were to happen with my car.

Wow.