Sunday, September 21, 2003

It occurred to me these past few days that I am, in fact, making friends here. Because I have had the lovely, amazing group of people in my life who have stayed close for a decade or more, (who also compose the majority of my readership, hey everyone) I sort of forget how long it can take to get through the inertia of being acquaintances.

But somewhere between 4 p.m. Friday and now-

•I took a co-worker with me to my assignment (a festival) and putting her on a ferris wheel to cheer her up.

•I made plans to hand over Senor Tortuga to the same co-worker, who has agreed to adopt him, has already christened him Senor Manuel Tortuga, and will allow him to live out the rest of his days in a huge aquarium with her turtle Irma.

•and I got to take a beloved, purebred, (recently a nursing mother,) English Sheepdog out for a romp in the dog park with Bella, and then out for ice cream, while the dog's owners dealt with a crazy, chaotic family thing

And it occurred to me, I do have friends here. I just do. Huh.