Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Signs of the Times

First of all, GO, MAINE! Today,the governor of Mine signed same-sex marriage into law. So, so happy for them! Come on, New Hampshire. I know you're next. All the neighbors are doing it!

Yesterday, Joel was walking down the hallway at his school and saw two teenagers making out by their lockers. He called out, "Excuse me! Lovebirds!" in his best "I am your 10th grade science teacher and public displays of affections are against the rules" voice. As they sheepishly broke apart, he realized they were both girls.

I'm all for decorum and all that, but there's something so truly heartening about the fact that gay teens can be out in the hallways of their public, inner city high school, and the worst thing they have to fear is detention. Of course, we have a long, long way to go, and yet, there's hope.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

This story totally made my day. :) Home sick from work and finally catching up on blogs!