Saturday, November 15, 2003

I am in Boston to see Stephen in Julius Ceasar. He's on a roll at the moment, which I am thrilled about. He's going to be touring with "Romeo and Juliet" until the end of May, but it's what we've been hoping for, so- woo hoo!

But in the middle of all the Shakespeare and reputable theater, Stephen is also juggling a 10-person show called Anger Box, which offers some extremely dark comedic commentary on religion, the afterlife, etc. Let's put it this way: I don't really want to see the "et cetera" while sitting in the audience with Stephen's mom. Or anyone's mom for that matter.

I should add, at this point, that Stephen is always fairly secretive when it comes to the shows he is in, especially if I've never seen the show before and don't know much about it. I know who he's befriended in the cast, whose a b!tch to work with, how hot his 8-ft, 50 lb costume is, but I almost never know that he's hiding in a steamer truck for the first 25 minutes of the show, what his costume will be like, if the "nurse" Erika portrays is actually a mental patient and/or when he pops out of that trap door. I know he wants me to have as many surpises as any other audience member so I can properly enjoy the theatrical experience.

BUT-tonight he came to Manda's aprtment after rehearsal for Anger Box with a poster from the show. I did NOT know that while he's delivering his monologue about m@sterb@tion, he will be dressed as an elf, in a green elf costume with a giant yellow bow tie. The teaser postcard he made also mentions that he takes off his pants.

Furthermore, there is an actress in the show who portrays the Virgin Mary as a young mother (w/infant son) in a monologue titled, "Jesus, eat your Cheerios."

I can. not. wait. to see this show. Any takers for a road trip to Boston?

No comments: