Wednesday, June 05, 2002

Hey all. I am tired, hot and hungry. But I am too damn lazy to make myself something real to eat, so it might be time to bust out the "Spaghettios Shirt." I will explain that in a minute.

I am this tired because I didn't get to bed before one last night, and I didn't fall alseep until 2, (am slowly breaking nocturnal habits, though) and I had to get up at 7:00 a.m. to do an assignment this morning (it's a freelance thing, not regular work yet, which doesn't start until Monday). So I am exhausted, which is good, because I will go to bed at a decent hour tonight, and then I should be on a regular sleeping schedule. I have to be up even earlier tomorrow to go into the office and meet my boss and then shoot something else at ten, so I will go to sleep at a decent hour tonight. I am doing my Very First Special Clearance Prison Assignment tomorrow. The reporter intern and I are going to talk to and photograph someone involved in the Rilya case.


Anyway, what is the "Spaghettios Shirt," you ask? When I was a junior in high school, I won a dorky award, the details of which I will spare us all, but the prize was this t-shirt that had a picture of a cat (just the cat's face actually) wearing a stereotypical Mexican hat with little cotton balls dangling off of it, and the shirt said, "Magnifico! Fantastico! Estupendo!" on it. Meg "Virgin Jell-O Shots" F. also won one. The t-shirts are so terrible that they are actually really funny, and anyway, my favorite teacher in high school gave it to me, so... Meg and I used to wear them to band camp on the same day, and I can't believe I am admitting that, so never mind.

ANYWAY, I wore it to percussion camp in college and I got lots of little cymbal holes in it, and then I fell asleep in my ham-mock while eating a nectarine in 1998 and it got stained. I have since worn it so many times that the nectarine stain washed out after like a year or so.

"What about the Spaghettios? Just get to the Spaghettios, would you?!?!" Wow. Even the voices in my head are getting cranky. Just kidding.

When I lived in Allentown and interned at the Call that summer, I would put in a lot of hours and come home completely exhausted. All I could muster the energy to do was microwave a bowl of Spaghettios for dinner and lay down, sideways, and try to eat while watching syndicated epsiodes of Seinfeld. This is messy, and I am a stain magnet even when I am sitting up, so... I would put on this same shirt every time I would eat laying down, which was often. Hence, it became the Spaghettios Shirt, and I wear it when I am too tired to do anything but lay down and try to eat before falling asleep.

So, yeah... I am hungry. And tired. Time for the Spaghettios Shirt... :)

Everyone- say it with me now: "Magnifico! Fantastico! Estupendo!"

No comments: